Just got back from the premiere for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.
It happened up in Los Angeles at Grauman's Chinese theater. A pretty impressive event as Warner Brothers was running it, and they had a GREEN carpet for the VIP's.
It was St. Patricks Day so I don't know if it was an Irish person that booked the carpet, or if it was for the Turtles?
Everyone was given a headband to wear, a great idea, but then everyone was in disguise! They had a table full of Turtles games on Xbox 360, PS2 & Wii, just handing them out. Some guys were grabbing hand fulls of them, so expect to see a ton pop up on ebaty tomorrow. I was given the Xbox 360 version, then the lady stopped me to say that the Wii version was better, so I grabbed that instead. Not had a chance to play it yet.
The movie was really cool and the Turtles are definitely back, I just can't imagine that they won't do a sequel, they certainly hinted Shredder will be in the next one. The CG was cool, the visual effects were cool, the music was fantastic. It was pretty serious inter-personal stuff and I'm not gonna ruin it for you so that's all I'm saying.
The Turtles are important to me personally for many reasons:
(1) It was the first #1 hit game I ever made.
(2) It was the first licensed game I ever made.
(3) My attorney represented the franchise creators from back when it first got going. (Peter Laird / Kevin Eastman.)
(4) The Writer/Director of this movie is Kevin Munroe, he used to work for me at Shiny! Check out his artwork on the Wild 9 game, and the R/C Stunt Copter game. Yes, he went from video game artist to Hollywood Director! I'm super proud of him!
(5) The team Kevin uses also are ex-Shiny. Today I chatted with Tom Takana (worked on Earthworm Jim with me back in the good old days) and I also said HI to Doug Cope. Tom and Kevin always did make a cool team, so it's great they are still together after all these years.
(6) The toy company that makes all the Turtles toys is called Playmates Toys. The head of that company is based in Hong Kong, (Thomas Chan.) HE was the dude that funded Shiny when it first got started back in 1993. (Small world or what.)
Also at the premiere for the movie I bumped into Jason Hall (the other tall guy in the photo below), he was the head of Warner Brothers Interactive (when I worked on Matrix) and recently set up his own movie production company. He was also the President of Monolith, so is a respected developer as well as a business guy.
So we decided to grab a photo for the blog. (Yes I'm Irish, so I get to represent for St. Patricks Day.)
Jason Hall, Kevin Munroe, David Perry.
So if you're a Turtles fan, check the movie out, it's really good stuff.
HEY THEY GAVE ME A LEO HEADBAND!
By the way, it went straight to #1 in the Box Office!
Posted by: DanielMD at March 19, 2007 12:43 PM
Posted by: Kudgel at March 19, 2007 8:26 AM
Posted by: dperry at March 18, 2007 9:30 PM
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)